From the age of 4, Taiwanese piano prodigy Fan-Ya Lin dreamed of performing around the world. She came to America to find the music program that would best prepare her — technically, academically and emotionally — for a career as a concert pianist. Fan-Ya declined admission offers from two renowned music conservatories to study with Dr. Yu-Jane Yang at Weber State University.

Fan-Ya’s choice paid off, big time. While at Weber, she became the youngest first-place winner of the Music Teachers National Association’s Steinway Young Artist Piano Competition. Her first-place finish in the 2013 American Protégé International Piano and Strings Competition earned her a solo recital at Carnegie Hall.

“I chose Weber State’s piano performance program because it is very different than other programs. You get so much more than just a one-hour lesson. You can talk to your teacher about anything — your personal life and your academic work. I also like the friendly and supportive atmosphere at Weber. Students don’t compete with each other; they support each other. We’re all friends, and my success is also their success.”